This tutorial will show you how to make a little felt stump using the technique of wet felting ( similar to the stones and eggs you may have seen earlier on this blog). The materials you will need are some wool fleece in a tree stump color, a cork, a small amount of felt or fabric for leaves, embroidery floss and needle, scissors, some hot water and a little dish or other liquid soap. A wash board is useful but optional.
1. Clear a work area . You may need to remove a cat first.
2. Take a wine cork and wrap it with thin layers of fleece making sure to cover it from all directions. I usually use about 4 or 5 thin layers. Moisten this with hot water and add a little dish soap. Rub it gently in your hands using mainly your fingers. When you feel the wool starting to felt together you can start rubbing a little harder using a rolling motion on a hard surface or even a wash board. Don't forget to rub the ends of the cork as well.
3. Now take a strand of fleece about 1 cm thick and wet it with hot water and a little soap and roll in into a felted rope. Rinse the soap out of this and the log and let them dry. The felted rope will later become the branches.
4. When the pieces have dried you can continue. Make a few little leaves out of felt or fabric and sew them onto the rope branch that you have cut into two little pieces about 3 to 4 cm long. Take some embroidery thread in a contrasting color and embroider a few rings in simple stitches on the top of the log. I also added a ring to each side where the branches would be placed.
5. Now poke two little holes in the felt log where you will place the branches an push the end through. You can fasten it with a few stitches in a color to match the log or if you have a needle felting needle you can poke it a few times to join the wool fibers together. This was the method I used.
6. Admire your little stump or it will admire itself.
It looks really sweet with some other handmade crafts with a forest theme or some little animals you may have around your home. Remember if this or any other tutorial has you stumped please ask for assistance.